Posts tagged ‘orange tile’
We get asked this great question quite regularly:
“I LOVE my new tile, but I need some advice…What should I do with the electrical outlets that fall within the kitchen backsplash area?”
Good news! We’ve got several creative solutions for you – yay!!!
These little necessary items can possibly ruin your beautiful, and often pricey backsplash! We are confident that if you consider the locations ahead of time, you will improve the finished look of your kitchen or bathroom. 🙂
Details on outlets…
It’s required by law that you have electrical outlets within your kitchen – which is a good thing!
Your kitchen has many electrical needs: major appliances, small appliances, built-in appliances, lighting, exhaust fans, and basically anything you might want to plug in or switch on while you’re in there.
In regards to your kitchen or bathroom, the National Electric Code requires:
- Small appliance circuits feeding countertop receptacle outlets are required to be Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) protected
- Any countertop wider than one foot requires a receptacle outlet
- Receptacle outlets must be installed every four linear feet at minimum – more is totally fine too
- Countertops separated by range cook top, refrigerators, or sinks are considered separate countertop spaces
Are you in the planning phase of your new kitchen or bath remodel?
If you are planning your kitchen or bath remodel, congrats(!), you are thinking ahead! Here are some helpful questions you can ask yourself and discuss with your electrician regarding your kitchen or bath’s electrical needs:
- What fixed/portable appliances do you plan to install/have in your kitchen? What are the locations and their power requirements?
- What kind of lighting do you want/need: Ceiling? Under cabinet? Toe kick? Pendant or chandelier? Recessed? Surface Mount? Ceiling fan?
- What kind of lighting controls do you need?
- Where do you want your light switches and appliance outlets?
- What materials/installation practices do you need to comply with National Electric Code requirements? Hint: ask your electrician
- Do you have special requirements due to disabilities and/or the Americans with Disabilities Act?
- What are the brand specification of all fixtures you want? Have your electrician check these out too.
After you discuss your electrical needs with your electrician and have a final layout in mind, the electrical outlets and switches can be located and installed. Don’t worry if you already have your outlets in place, it’s really easy to move them around and make adjustments before the installation of your backsplash.
There are several different ways to approach this without ruining your backsplash with a bunch of ugly, poorly placed outlets and switches. Here are some creative solutions as to how you can address the outlets & switches within your backsplash.
Implementing Creative Solutions…
#1 – Flip your outlets horizontally to coordinate with the pattern of your backsplash (but if your backsplash has a vertical pattern to it, keep you outlets vertical too)
#3 – Install the outlets or switches on or within your cabinets…(some additional planning involved).
#4 – Install your outlets where you know you’ll need them!
#5 – Install custom pop-up grommet outlets where you know you’ll need them!
#6 – Specify outlet and switch plate covers to coordinate with your material selections: making them a design element instead of an eyesore!
#7 – [Bathroom specific] – Install the outlets or switches within your bathroom mirror and trim with a mirrored cover…some additional planning involved. Look closely for them!
Q: Have some other creative outlet and switch solutions? Share them with us and we’ll add it to this blog!
Modwalls® has been making Colorful Modern Tile since 2005. We have high end and unique designs that are in stock and available for purchase online 24/7 at modwalls.com Samples Available and Discounts to the Trade. Residential, Commercial and Hospitality. Live Your Colors with Modwalls Tile.
We are so proud that our American made, Clayhaus for modwalls ceramic tile collection has inspired people across the Country to create their own backsplash blends using any of our 24 colors. The collection first started with the seven colors shown beautifully in this Cooking Light article. When the line was first developed, our Co-Founder and Creative Director, Rebecca Lonergan’s goal was to expand on modwalls’ product line with a modern, fun, always colorful, handmade, and domestically made ceramic tile product. Collaborating with Clayhaus Ceramics was the perfect partnership to make it all happen!
“I wanted to add an American made ceramic collection to our product line-up. When the folks at Clayhaus contacted us about a collaboration it was a great fit! Our Mid-Century aesthetics matched perfectly and they allowed us to create exclusive glaze colors to meet the needs of our existing customer base. We are their only stocking distributor and we have a growing number of colors in 2×8 and now stretched hex tiles in stock for immediate delivery. The sales and press that this collection has received is testament to how well our collaboration is working.”
Tile featured in this article:
Shop other American Made tile here.
Modwalls is “Making Tile Modern” with fresh and colorful collections inspired by mid century architecture and design.
If interested, please check out our online tile showroom at www.modwalls.com. We stock in Northern California and ship throughout North America. Samples available. Discounts to the trade.
We seriously couldn’t be happier to spread the news about our latest additions to modwalls®!!!
Take a few minutes to check them out, order samples, or make a mental note for later. 🙂
We know you’ll love them as much as we do!!!
New ModDotz™ Colors!!
Find all these mouthwatering colors here for only $7.95 per sheet!
New Lush® 3×6 Colors!!
Find these colors as well as many other Lush® colors for only $19.95 per sheet!
ALL New Lush® Weave™ Subway Tile!!
All 3 of these Lush® Weave™ colors are available for only $19.95 per sheet.
ALL New Harvest Bamboo Mosaics™!!!
Find all mosaic patterns here for only $14.95 per sheet.
The one and only…Real Penny Mosaic™!!!
or the most popular MIX.
Click here for more Real Penny Mosaic™ info.
Modwalls® is making tile modern™ with colorful and unique designs that are in stock and available for purchase online 24/7 at modwalls.com
The Lush color formerly known as Quince is now……….POPPY!!!
“Oh good! Yes, Poppy is a much better name. Much more fun & it just sounds more ORANGE!”
[…said a wonderful customer just a few minutes ago! Hence, this explanation of the name change…]
“Orange is the happiest of colors” – Frank Sinatra
Color names are a funny thing; it can make or break a persons opinion of said color or product. If you have ever studied color theory, you know what I’m talking about, and our products are no exception. This is why we decided to re-name our color Quince to the fun-loving new Poppy color.
“The color orange creates a lot of controversy; it evokes strong emotion and is a color that people seem to either love or hate. Color experts agree that orange radiates warmth and energy.” – The Examiner
More Fun Facts About The Color ORANGE:
- Physically, the color orange stimulates activity, appetite and our ability to socialize.
- Orange is a color that really stands out, even at a distance, and invites attention.
- In the practice of Feng Shui, colors hold great significance, and orange represents fire.
- Orange helps us focus our powers of concentration, and it’s also the color that’s credited with assisting us in organizing our thoughts and our things.
- During the Elizabethan Era in English history, only nobility were allowed to wear orange clothing.
- An orange vehicle says you are fun loving and trendy.
What do you think of our the color orange? And our new Poppy name? We would love to hear your feedback! 🙂
Modwalls is making tile modern with colorful and unique designs that are in stock and available for purchase online 24/7 at modwalls.com.